First of all, you have to put in the work!

When budgets are tight or when social distancing is still on, digital marketing might be the first expense you look to cut.

Let me stop you right there.

While traditional advertising methods are costly and hard to measure, your small business has never had greater access to cost-effective, trackable marketing tools.

But with so many digital tools available, how do you know where to start?

Strap on those knee pads and roll up your sleeves if you are to have a business that’s profitable and enjoyable.

Here are five marketing strategies that can help you market your small business on a shoestring budget:

Have a compelling message.

You should be marketing all the time — wherever you are. Therefore, you need a compelling message.

Research shows the average attention span of an adult is about six to eight seconds. That’s all the time you have to grab someone’s attention.

If you successfully engage them, then you only have a little over a minute to really sell them on your product or service. Invest the time to craft a killer elevator pitch. The return on your investment will pay huge dividends in terms of creating business opportunities.

What’s your elevator pitch ?- let us know in the comments below.

Help other people get what they want.

I believe we are here to Live, Learn and Contribute.

Put together a group of synergistic, non-competitive businesses in your area and agree to cross-promote.

You can use coupons, fliers, reciprocal website links, bundled promotions or social media platforms.

By collaborating with each other, you can expand your customer base because you’ll be reaching new people.

Help other people get what they want, you will in turn get what you want.

Network

I’m a huge fan of networking. I don’t think there is any better way to build a business than to get out there, shake some hands, and get to know people.

Networking requires a time commitment and it doesn’t provide instant gratification, but a strong network is one of the greatest assets any business person can have.

Be known for something. That way, people will refer work to you.

This is only because, people do business with those they know, like and trust.

Build relationships

It is a lot less expensive to keep a customer than it is to get a new one.

That’s why establishing strong relationships with your customer base is crucial.

One of the ways you can do that is by keeping in touch with people through email marketing.

Ask customers for their email address when they visit your store or website. Then, make your communications informative, helpful and professional — something your customers will look forward to receiving.

Give it away because givers gain.

If someone has the opportunity to experience your product or service, chances are they will want to purchase more.

Don’t be afraid to give someone a free trial or a sample.

In today’s economy, people are more comfortable purchasing something they have been able to experience first.

These inexpensive marketing strategies will help you engage customers, build relationships, and ultimately keep your brand top-of-mind.

It’s not always about the money you have to spend on marketing, it’s about the time and effort you put into it and above all, the relevance it has for your customers.

P.S. If you're interested in exploring the possibility of working with me one on one- so you too can have a business that’s profitable and enjoyable - I have space for a couple of new clients!

To see if we're a good fit, simply comment “prospects” in the comments section below.

If you're not quite ready for that, why not click this hashtag and join our community #livelongdigitalcommunity where I will answer any questions you have about prospecting and creating a business that’s remarkable.

I hope you can join us.